Re: [Groff] newbie question: .TL in mm

From: Bob Diertens
Subject: Re: [Groff] newbie question: .TL in mm
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:23:08 +0100

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:50:12PM -0800, Juan Zuluaga wrote:
> Hello,
> sorry the newbie question, I've done my homework (read
> Dougherty & O'Reilly UNix text processing and man
> groff_mm) and yet I'm stuck:
> (I run groff 1.16)
>
> I want to put a title in my little paper,
> but if I compose
> [ ... examples deleted ... ]
> I am processing the files by groff -mm
>
> What am I missing? How should I compose title and
> author lines in the
> mm format? How to place a .TL line in a groff -mm
> document ?

I have composed an example for you.

---8<---
.COVER
.TL abc def
Explanation of 'beginning' macros
.AF "The Obscure Company"
.AU "B. Diertens" BD "University of Amsterdam" "Computer Science"
.TM 5
.AS 2 0.5i
This is nothing more than an example of the 'beginning' macros.
For more information, one has to check the manual of the mm macros.
.AE
.COVEND

The PWB/MM (Programmer's Workbench Memorandum Macros) manual gives
the following order of invocation:
.DS I
\&.ND
\&.TL
\&.AF
\&.AU
\&.TM
\&.AS
\&.AE
\&.OK
\&.MT
.DE
The mm package that comes with groff implements more or less the same
functionality. But it also provides the macros COVER and COVEND.
The manual page for mm gives the following order of invocation:
.DS I
\&.COVER
\&.TL
\&.AF