[Groff] newbie question: .TL in mm

From: Juan Zuluaga
Subject: [Groff] newbie question: .TL in mm
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:50:12 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
sorry the newbie question, I've done my homework (read
Dougherty & O'Reilly UNix text processing and man
groff_mm) and yet I'm stuck:
(I run groff 1.16)

I want to put a title in my little paper,
but if I compose
(juan:41) ~>$ cat test1.groff
.TL Title ZZZZ

.H 1 "akjh askjdh askjdh askjdf askjf"
slkdjfh adslkjfh salkjdhf aslkdjfh aslkjdhf

it complains,
test1.groff:1: error: end of file while defining macro
`cov*title'
troff: warning: missing closing delimiter

If I add an author line,
(juan:18) ~>$ cat test.groff
.TL Title ZZZZ
.AU John Doe

.H 1 "akjh askjdh askjdh askjdf askjf"
slkdjfh adslkjfh salkjdhf aslkdjfh aslkjdhf

The page is created, but I see no title or author at
all, there is no
numeration on top, and the lines begin too high in the
page.

------
When I compose

Something
.TL Title ZZZZ

.H 1 "akjh askjdh askjdh askjdf askjf"
slkdjfh adslkjfh salkjdhf aslkdjfh aslkjdhf

It complains even more

test1.groff:2: error: end of file while defining macro
`cov*title'
troff: warning: missing closing delimiter
troff: warning: numeric expression expected (got `\')
troff: warning: numeric expression expected (got `\')
troff: warning: numeric expression expected (got `\')
troff: warning: missing closing delimiter
troff: warning: missing closing delimiter
troff: warning: numeric expression expected (got `\')
troff: warning: numeric expression expected (got `\')
troff: warning: missing closing delimiter
troff: warning: missing closing delimiter
troff: warning: numeric expression expected (got `\')
troff: warning: numeric expression expected (got `\')
troff: warning: numeric expression expected (got `\')
troff: warning: missing closing delimiter
troff: warning: numeric expression expected (got `\')

But, if I include the author line,
(juan:36) ~>$ cat test1.groff
Something
.TL Title ZZZZ
.AU Me
.H 1 "akjh askjdh askjdh askjdf askjf"
slkdjfh adslkjfh salkjdhf aslkdjfh aslkjdhf

.H 1 "askjhgk kajshdgf askjdgf askjdgf askdjf"
asdlkjh asdlkjf asdlkjfh aslkjdf

Then it would print the numbering line,
the "Something" line,
then the headings (but not the Title or the Author).
---------

I am processing the files by groff -mm

What am I missing? How should I compose title and
author lines in the
mm format? How to place a .TL line in a groff -mm
document ?

Thanks!
Juan P. Zuluaga