Re: [Groff] Building GROFF

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Building GROFF
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 23:19:41 +0100 (CET)

> This is is one of the few errors but may well be related to X not being
> installed:-
>

> make[2]: Entering directory `U:/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc'
> makeinfo -I/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc
> /unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc/groff.texinfo
> GROFF_COMMAND_PREFIX=''; export GROFF_COMMAND_PREFIX; GROFF_BIN_PATH=`echo
> /unixos2/workdir/groff-current/src/roff/groff
>
> sed: couldn't write 32 items to {Unknown file pointer}

Hmm, can you give more details here?

> xpmtoppm /unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc/gnu.xpm | pnmdepth 15 |
> pnmtops -noturn -rle >gnu.eps
> /bin/sh: xpmtoppm: not found
> /bin/sh: pnmdepth: not found
> /bin/sh: pnmtops: not found
> make[2]: *** [gnu.eps] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory `U:/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc'
> make[1]: *** [doc] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `U:/unixos2/workdir/groff-current'
> make: *** [install] Error 2

This is normal -- gnu.eps is part of the `real' tarball.  Just create
an empty file called `gnu.eps' to proceed.

> There were a couple of other minor errors but they were not terminal:-
>
> if test -n ""; then \
>   yacc -v -d label.y; \
> else \
>   yacc -v label.y; \
> fi
> test -f y.tab.h && mv y.tab.h y_tab.h
> make[2]: [label.cc] Error 1 (ignored)
> test -f y.tab.c && mv y.tab.c y_tab.c
> mv y_tab.c label.cc

Again, the `real' tarball contains the output of yacc.

> /unixos2/workdir/groff-current/src/roff/groff/groff: couldn't exec
> troff: No such file or directory

This might be a hint that environment handling doesn't work properly
and that groff can't find the location of troff and the other
binaries.

> > Not really.  It builds some documentation files in the `doc'
> > subdirectory which you can use as a first test.  BTW, there is a
> > high chance that -Thtml will fail on OS/2.
>
> How do I test for that?

Try to install the netpbm package -- some utility programs are
necessary for creation of PNG images.

The make process then should create two HTML test documents in the doc
subdirectory (webpage.html and pic.html, with 50 images in
directory `doc/img').

> BTW, what is the usual location for GROFF on a Unix system?  I want
> to keep things in exactly the right place so that I can follow any
> written examples without too much trouble.

As with all GNU (user) programs, the default prefix is /usr/local:

  /usr/local/bin
  /usr/local/share/groff/1.18.1/...