[Groff] Help with Page setup

From: Scott Moore
Subject: [Groff] Help with Page setup
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:58:43 -0700

To all,

I wrote a custom macro package about 10 years ago.
For reasons we have to move from our almost dead sun
to linux, and from groff 1.09 under SunOS 5.3 to groff
1.17.2 under redhat 7.3 as it currently sits.

We are seeing changes in the bounding lines on the page,
vertical bars that help align text, open top and bottom.
I havent looked at this for so long ... oh my ...
I have eliminated a lot of other macros, so if anything
isnt clear let me know and ill fill in where necessary.

Desired output:

Half an inch spacing from the top of the page
Header area with 4 potential lines available for headers
Create a separate environment to draw left vertical bounding line
return indent and draw right vertical bounding line.
Set remaining vars for the page.

Challenges experienced in design.

I have had trouble initializing this as I remember, hence the need for specific .1P
setup, and .Pg takes over after first page.   Still probs.
Sometimes the first page right hand bounding line does not print.
Both lines are supposed to start at the same point on the page, and end at the
same point on the page, but sometine the first left line starts 1 row below the mark,
with the second right starting where it should, at the mark, which equates to one
line higher than the first left line .. they are not on the same row.

Didnt have this problem on the Sun.  How do I fix this ?

Oh, and I am open to philosophical input as well, there are I am sure better ways
of accomplishing what I am after ... so please feel free to expand and rewrite
where my logic fails.

Much obliged.

J. Scott Moore

\" Begin Snippet