Re: [Groff] Building GROFF

From: John Poltorak
Subject: Re: [Groff] Building GROFF
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:09:05 +0000

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:08:37PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I'll certainly try the latest snapshot. Where do I get it from?
>
>   ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff/devel/groff-current.tar.gz
>
> Note that this is a snapshot of the CVS and not a real `tarball',
> i.e., you need additional utilities like yacc or a recent makeinfo to
> make it build successfully.  If you have problems, I can do a `make
> dist' and put the result temporarily to ffii.org.

This seemed to go extremely well..

This is is one of the few errors but may well be related to X not being
installed:-

make[2]: Entering directory `U:/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc'
makeinfo -I/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc
/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc/groff.texinfo
GROFF_COMMAND_PREFIX=''; export GROFF_COMMAND_PREFIX; GROFF_BIN_PATH=`echo
/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/src/roff/groff

sed: couldn't write 32 items to {Unknown file pointer}
xpmtoppm /unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc/gnu.xpm | pnmdepth 15 |
pnmtops -noturn -rle >gnu.eps
/bin/sh: xpmtoppm: not found
/bin/sh: pnmdepth: not found
/bin/sh: pnmtops: not found
make[2]: *** [gnu.eps] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `U:/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/doc'
make[1]: *** [doc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `U:/unixos2/workdir/groff-current'
make: *** [install] Error 2

There were a couple of other minor errors but they were not terminal:-

if test -n ""; then \
  yacc -v -d label.y; \
else \
  yacc -v label.y; \
fi
test -f y.tab.h && mv y.tab.h y_tab.h
make[2]: [label.cc] Error 1 (ignored)
test -f y.tab.c && mv y.tab.c y_tab.c
mv y_tab.c label.cc

/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/src/roff/groff/groff: couldn't exec troff: No
such file or directory
make[2]: *** [examples/letter.ps] Error 5
make[2]: Leaving directory `U:/unixos2/workdir/groff-current/contrib/mom'
make[1]: *** [contrib/mom] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `U:/unixos2/workdir/groff-current'
make: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Entering directory `U:/unixos2/workdir/groff-current'

> > Does the tarball include a test suite of some sort which I could try?
>
> Not really.  It builds some documentation files in the `doc'
> subdirectory which you can use as a first test.  BTW, there is a high
> chance that -Thtml will fail on OS/2.

How do I test for that?

BTW, what is the usual location for GROFF on a Unix system? I want to keep
things in exactly the right place so that I can follow any written
examples without too much trouble.

--
John