Re: [Groff] Compiled UTP...

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Compiled UTP...
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:10:24 -0500

Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

At 08:16 p.m. 22/01/2003 +0100, Daniele Furlan wrote:
I downloaded and compiled minutes ago the source of UTP from
Kollar site: perfect, no problems and no warnings with groff
1.17.2.

"I love it when a plan comes together." :-)

Only a question/curiosity: after obtained the ps file I created
also a pdf one with ps2pdf (only with the option for A4 paper),
this file is about 4 Megs (2.76 the ps) while that pdf on the
web site is about 1.4 Megs. Why so a big difference?

That seems to depend a lot on the version. AFPL GS 8 does have better compression than previous versions, slightly worse than my version of Jaws PDF Creator (which is a PS Level 3 distiller).

Perhaps the PDF in Larry's site was created with Adobe's?

Yes, it is. I have a licensed copy of Distiller 4; I used it primarily
to save bandwidth.

--
Larry Kollar        k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: the Revival