Re: [Groff] confused by soelim

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] confused by soelim
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:25:50 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 14 January 2003 at 15:41:20 -0500, Robert D. Goulding wrote:
> >

> You don't say what operating system you're using.  I had trouble for
> years running soelim under FreeBSD (specifically, it didn't output .lf
> directives), until I realized that FreeBSD has its own soelim, which
> predates GNU:

I'm using RedHat 7.1, with the very latest (8 Jan) groff 1.18.2.  It is
the only *roff on my system, and likewise the only soelim.  The problem -
if there is one - is with gsoelim/groff.  Or actually, I think what
problem there is is with the documentation.  Clearly files *are* read in
by the mso request without soelim; it's just that the documentation, if I
understand it, implies that (a) soelim is *needed* to resolve the request
(which it's not) and (b) soelim *can* resolve the request (which it
can't).

Robert.