Re: [Groff] Character spacing and spread

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Character spacing and spread
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:49:36 -0500

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

I've just received a message from O'Reilly's style people containing
this statement:

However, one thing you can do is set the horizontal scale (or
stretch) to 95%, and the character spacing (or spread) to -5%. This
will allow for up to 82 characters across the line--more than a
screen's width--even with the necessary 0.25" indent all code should
have.

I understand roughly what this means, but I don't know exactly, and I
certainly don't know how to do it with groff.  Can somebody help?

May I refer you to a posting of Ted Harding's from last February:

        http://ffii.org/archive/mails/groff/2002/Feb/0022.html

In short, you decrease the point size then increase the character
height (effectively creating a compressed/narrow font). I've used
this handy tip a couple of times.

--
Larry Kollar        k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: the Revival