Re: [Groff] Proposed revised START macro for mom

From: James J. Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Groff] Proposed revised START macro for mom
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:21:06 -0800 (PST)

--- Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:
> > In the revised macro, all those lines using the
> > #DOCHEADER_LINES register were eliminated.
-- snip --
> > there is a
> > possibility that I may have introduced a bug by
> > eliminating those lines.
>
> #DOCHEADER_LINES is actually quite important, for
> the fine-tuning reason
> you give above.
>
> Therefore, the incrementing register
> #DOCHEADER_LINES needs to go back
> into your macros.

Ok, I'll put them back.

One thing, though. Internal strings like $TITLE_FAM,
$TITLE_FT and $TITLE_PT_SIZE, etc. can be replaced
with absolute values like P, R, or 24, so, as you
said, users who redefine the *_DOCHEADER macros can
easily avoid using those internal strings simply by
just using the absolute values instead. However, there
is no simple replacement for #DOCHEADER_LINES. That
register, or a register with the same function but a
different name, say DOCHEADER_LINES (without the #),
is going to have to be earmarked as safe for external
use.

BTW, in a redefined *_DOCHEADER macro, should
\\n+[#DOCHEADER_LINES] be used after things like
"\*[RULE]" or ".SPACE"? What about something like
".SPACE 0.9v"? I'll need to know that when I comment
the *_DOCHEADER macros.