Re: [Groff] Text running off the top of the page. Is it a bug?

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Text running off the top of the page. Is it a bug?
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:07:33 -0500

At 01:50 p.m. 21/12/2002 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I assume there is a problem with the physical paper length.  Setting
`.pl' is relevant for troff only.  For the PS output device, grops,
you have to specify the physical paper length with one of the
following methods (valid for groff 1.18):

  . Command line option -p of grops.  Example for A4 paper:

      groff -Tps -P-p -Pa4 ...

  . The `paperlength' keyword in

If you are using the win32 binaries provided at the gnuwin32 project, all the processors are configured to use A4 paper, if you want to use US Letter you need to reconfigure the devices as Werner has already pointed out (or do what I do, install Cygwin and compile my own binaries, the way I like'm).

Besides what Ralph and Werner have already said, allow me to state the obvious, the fact that you are not loading a macro package and therefore, you need to manage the page filling and page braking all by yourself (that is, you need to create a line counter trap and output the page yourself).

Try your original example running it with, say:

groff -ms your_test.tr

mm and me will work as well. mom won't because it requires a lot more user tweaking (the secret of its power, btw).