Re: [Groff] Integral sign \(is in devdvi

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Integral sign \(is in devdvi
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:19:20 +0100 (CET)

> Why is it that the integral sign comes out as some hacked-looking
> glyph in devdvi?  If I type
>
> \(is
>
> I get something which is really of no use for mathematical
> typesetting.

What you see is the `is' glyph from the new SC font, cmtex10
(typesetter extended).  In the list of special fonts it comes before
EX.z

> I can get the proper, Computer Modern integral only by first putting
>
> .char \(is \f[EX]\N'90'

The question is what `proper' means.  I think that two-letter glyphs
should behave nicely if typeset within text -- the `is' glyph from the
EX font doesn't, due to its strange dimensions.  Currently, I'm in the
process of revising all glyphs, and I haven't reached `is' yet.  In a
few days, I'll provide a better substitution.

BTW, \[integral] will do the trick without switching fonts -- all
those long names used by eqn will stay as-is.