Re: [Groff] SVG

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] SVG
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 21:54:28 +0100 (CET)

>   Now, sorry if this is a stupid post, but if groff could output to
> SVG then we would have cross referencing, graphics ( whitout bitmaps
> ), and apart from some REALLY un-nice font problems I understand SVG
> is quite able to fx. replace .pdf ?

I have no opinion here since I don't know anything about SVG.

>   ps. where does one find info on writing a backend ? ( apart from the
> source  ).

groff_out(5) documents the intermediate output language of GNU troff.
The file src/libs/libdriver/input.cc implements the driver interface
which is declared in include/printer.h.  Here a comment from this file:

   The class `printer' performs the postprocessing.  Each
   postprocessor only needs to implement a derived class of `printer'
   and a suitable function `make_printer' for the device-dependent
   tasks.  Then the methods of class `printer' are called
   automatically by `do_file()' in `input.cc'.