Re: [Groff] Larry Kollar's TOC usuability?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Larry Kollar's TOC usuability?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:12:03 -0500

Janez Žemva wrote:

After seeing Larry's post and added 1+1 I have the following question:

is UTPTOC.tmac usuable by us mere mortals? I currently use a mechanism where I output page numbers on standard error and then do some AWK magic on my groff files? Ugly! Is UTPTOC any better?

That is essentially what the UTP TOC does -- outputs to
standard error (if \n[Ref] is non-zero) and uses an awk
script to build the TOC file. In the second pass, \n[Ref] is
zero, so nothing but problems get sent to stderr and the
markup for the TOC is available.

Note that this is very similar to what TeX does, although
it does the processing itself and tells you whether it needs
to be re-run.

        Larry