Re: [Groff] Why are pic pictures hanging at the TeX-baseline?

From: Egil Kvaleberg
Subject: Re: [Groff] Why are pic pictures hanging at the TeX-baseline?
Date: 29 Nov 2002 09:48:14 +0100

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 02:52, Hartmut Henkel wrote:

> in the output from pic -t (TeX-Mode) the pictures are _hanging_ at the
> text baseline, when included into a TeX document. I believe this is not
> the usual way in TeX. E. g. pictures included in LaTeX by
> \includegraphics{} are _standing_ on the baseline. Is there a rationale
> behind the pic way of doing?

That I cannot answer. I know too little about Tex and LaTex, and in
particular.

But it does seem not very logical, things like that need to be
consistent.

By the way, does this means that content produced by gpic cannot be
placed within a \begin{figure} ... \end{figure}

> An example how to get standing pictures in comparison to the pic way you
> find below.
>
> And here is also a tiny announcement :-) I have been fiddling with an
> awk script for converting of pic/tpic \specials into pdftex literals

Would it be natural that support for that would be natively in gpic?

> The idea behind this is to get pic
> more accessible by the TeX-world.

I have been working with gpic to properly include support postscript and
raster graphics. This is working in groff, but I need help in testing
the support for LaTex (using \includegraphics)

Can you assist with this?

More information about the image support in gpic can (for the time
being) be found in the file pic.pdf at ftp.kvaleberg.no

Egil
--
Email: address@hidden
Voice/videophone: +47 22523641 Voice: +47 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899