[Groff] Using C with glib instead of C++ for groff

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: [Groff] Using C with glib instead of C++ for groff
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 01:28:02 +0100

The actual source of groff uses a simplified C++ which could be critical
on some non-Linux systems or some future C++ changings.  For example,
it is planned to replace `static' by `namespace' concepts; groff does
not use namespaces because of difficulties with some compilers.

An alternative for groff version 2 will be to use the `glib' library;
glib completely works in C, but provides several C++-like
quasi-objective elements.  The glib library exists on almost all
operating systems, including all Unix-like systems, Microsoft, and
Mac.  So it would make sense to use it for implementing the unicode
structures for groff.

For example, the file groff-current/src/libs/libdriver/input.cc has
some problems with the integer length of some variables.  Although 32
bits are necessary for some constructs, the file only uses `int' as
type.  `int' is on GNU PC's wide enough with 32 bits, and `long' is
too large with 64 bits.  But in ANSI C, `int' has 16 bits and `long'
has 32 bits.  This inconsistency could be fixed with the type `gint32'
correctly defined for all systems in `glib'.  Without `glib', the
`#ifdef' routines of my original version of the file must be readded.

Actually, I'm about to write `groffer' in C.  I experienced some
troubles with the g++ compiler such that I decided to change some
parts into concepts that are similar to glib.  Using the original
`glib' could be a better alternative sometimes.

Are there any troubles to request the availabilty of `glib' for
a proper compilation of the `groff' package (so far just for groffer)?

Bernd Warken