Re: [Groff] Attaching a string to the beginning of each line?

From: Egil Kvaleberg
Subject: Re: [Groff] Attaching a string to the beginning of each line?
Date: 19 Nov 2002 22:10:14 +0100

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 21:05, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> It is on my TODO list to implement \X[...] for all X (similar to
> sqtroff).

You may remove it - I've already done that as part of the coming
improved "image" patch. I known it is not very related to images,
perhaps, but I happened to be digging in the right territory.

It allows any of the pairs [], {}, () and <> to be used
together with all relevant \X''. It really enhances the readability of
some expressions IMHO.

For completeness, the feature is turned off in compatibility mode
(although hopefully no-one has used \w()( and meant \w')'. Except in an
"unreadable groff" contest (have that ever been arranged, or is it too
easy?)

An added possible benefit is that it should also allow () to be used as
delimiters for numbers, like in \h(1c). I have not done so yet, but
presumably that should be ok? <> should probably still not be allowed
for numbers.

Egil

PS: If you like, I can seperate this out as a patch by itself, by I
would prefer if you wait untill everything is in place.

--
Email: address@hidden
Voice/videophone: +47 22523641 Voice: +47 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899