Re: [Groff] Graphics

From: Egil Kvaleberg
Subject: Re: [Groff] Graphics
Date: 15 Nov 2002 18:33:02 +0100

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 10:46, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> On the other hand, groff's output
> driver can't be bothered do do the conversion itself,
> considering the multitude of possible input formats.

I think the proper way of doing this is to:

        a. Implement support for raster images
           "natively" via pic and groff.

        b. Let device drivers see only "digested"
           rasters in one simple and easy format.

        c. Put rendering where it belongs, i.e. in
           the device driver. For the postscipt driver, this
           is of course more a matter of shipping the
           image data onwards in the postscript.

It is probably not very important to support all sorts of
formats. In particular, a proof-of-concept version need only
support simple ascii formats like pgm.

>  Thus,
> the best solution is always to provide the picture in the
> native format accepted by the device.

With postscipt source, and postscript destination, there
should of course be a "short circuit".

Egil
--
Email: address@hidden
Voice/videophone: +47 22523641 Voice: +47 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899