Re: [Groff] Graphics

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Graphics
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:46:55 +0100

> Converting grays to e.g. lines, is called rendering, and with all due
> respect that should be done at the device interface level, NOT as a
> preprocessor. I think that is the wrong concept.

I agree, but it depends on the capabilities of the device.
For example, all pen plotters that I know of have no inbuilt
halftoning capability.  On the other hand, groff's output
driver can't be bothered do do the conversion itself,
considering the multitude of possible input formats.  Thus,
the best solution is always to provide the picture in the
native format accepted by the device.  Since you want
Postscript output, my suggestion would be to convert the
picture with bmptopnm and pnmtops and then include it in the
document with .PSPIC.

(Apropos: does anybody of you have knowledge of an HPGL device
for troff?)