Re: [Groff] Attaching a string to the beginning of each line?

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey
Subject: Re: [Groff] Attaching a string to the beginning of each line?
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:59:47 +1030

On Monday, 11 November 2002 at 15:15:07 +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> Basically what I'm looking for is something like a filled indent:
>>> normally an indent just has spaces on the left, but I want >
>>> characters.
>>
>> This is not possible currently (well, maybe it is, but a macro
>> solution would be rather fragile I believe).  From troff's TODO list:
>>
>>   A line prefix request to make e.g. French quotation possible:
>>
>>     He said: >> blablablabla
>>
>> Email quotations are the same from a typographical point of view.
>>
>> Perhaps you can `abuse' margin characters to implement a hack (using
>> properly defined margin characters `>',  `> >', `> > >', etc.).
>
> I wondered if you could divert the paragraph using the current line
> length less \w'> > '.  See how tall the diversion is.  Shove out that
> many `> > ' and the contents of the diversion.

Heh, that's just what I was thinking of.  It makes a number of
assumptions about the content of the diversion, though.

> But I've never played around with that side of things.

I've been idly thinking of adding a parameter to the .in request to
specify a fill character.  But I haven't looked at the code yet, and
that might scare me away.

Greg
--
Finger address@hidden for PGP public key