Re: [Groff] Various Comments on the UTP Book.

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] Various Comments on the UTP Book.
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:48:50 -0500

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 02:59:10PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> The original book didn't capitalise the chapter titles and I don't see a
> great reason for us to either.  Especially, in computing, we have
> significant lower-case words, like mm.  So I'd vote +1 for removing the
> upper-casing of .chapter.

It's easy to do this by adding a fourth argument to .chapter calls.  It
doesn't matter what the argument is as long as it's non-null.

> If .do-page is used then the formatting of the book hangs somewhere
> around the `ig ,' in ch14.t.  A poorly placed .page perhaps?  -mtrace
> helps a bit here.

Hmmm, I haven't seen this.  If I get a chance, I'll take a look, but
don't let that stop anyone else who wants to work on it.

> We need .chapter to ensure it's starting a new odd-numbered page now
> we're formatting multiple chapters into one PostScript file.

I've made a couple of changes to utp.mac to support the Table of
Contents.  One of those changes also fixes this.  Larry is currently
looking over the TOC stuff, and as soon as he is happy, I'll upload
the new macros and TOC changes.

> When a new chapter starts, the page header gives the title of the old
> chapter, e.g. ch. 2, p. 13.  AFAICS there's no need for the chapter
> title to appear in the header of the first page of a chapter?

Also fixed in above changes.

> A basic table of contents, e.g. just the chapter number, title, and
> page, would be great for a high-level overview of the book's contents.

Ditto

> The first page of the book proper, i.e. the title page, has a page
> number at the top, as does the following page.

Ditto

> The first page of a chapter has the page number in the footer at the
> bottom and the header at the top.

Ditto

Jon Snader