[Groff] Groff 1.17.2 as installed on the Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar release.

From: Robert Marks
Subject: [Groff] Groff 1.17.2 as installed on the Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar release.
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:20:25 +1100 (EST)

All,

Following on from the earlier discussion of compiling groff under OS
X 10.2, I have found that the version of groff (1.17.2) distributed
on the Jaguar CD will not properly handle in-line equations.
Specifically, the miscreant is the troff file in the Jaguar distribution.

The testeq file:

.EQ
delim $$
.EN
Let $alpha sub i$ be the primary variable, and let $beta$ be zero.  Then it
can be shown that $x sub 1$ is $>=0$.

gives

:!groff -e testeq > testeq.ps

testeq:4: warning: can't break line
testeq:4: warning: can't break line
testeq:4: warning: can't break line
testeq:4: warning: can't break line
testeq:4: warning: can't break line
testeq:4: warning: can't break line
testeq:4: warning: can't break line
testeq:4: warning: can't break line
testeq:4: warning: can't break line
testeq:5: warning: can't break line
testeq:5: warning: can't break line
testeq:5: warning: can't break line
testeq:5: warning: can't break line
testeq:5: warning: can't break line
testeq:5: warning: can't break line
testeq:5: warning: can't break line

and prints out with a word/chara per line, until the final line, which has
three charas.

This is not a problem with 1.17.2 per se, since a version of 1.17.2 a
colleague compiled under 10.1.X and which I have used to replace the troff
in /usr/bin (10.2) with, works fine.

Incidentally the two troff files are wildly different in size:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   368960 Sep 23 17:41 troff <- with Jaguar
-rwxr-xr-x  1 robm  staff  1481368 Nov 11 12:32 troff <- compiled earlier

Bob Marks
P.S. Any word yet on the 18.1 mm bug I reported a couple of weeks ago?

--
Robert MARKS, Australian Graduate School of Management,
              UNSW SYDNEY, NSW 2052, Australia