Re: [Groff] Re: experimental multibyte support

From: Fumitoshi UKAI
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: experimental multibyte support
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 02:25:09 +0900

At Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:22:07 +0000,
Colin Watson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 03:46:50AM +0900, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:
> > At Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:44:39 +0100,
> > Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Now that groff 1.18.1 has been released, I need to resync the Japanese
> > > patch anyway so I should probably merge this into the Debian groff
> > > package. Have you reached agreement on whether this additional glyph is
> > > a good idea?
> >
> > I've merged multibyte patch to 1.18.1
> > http://people.debian.org/~ukai/groff/
>
> I've applied this, and it mostly looks good. One thing that's changed is
> that, when I'm using the latin1 device and have LC_CTYPE set to C, the
> iconv encoding handler converts high-bit-set characters in the output to
> '?', whereas formerly they were passed through unchanged and it was left
> to the pager to do whatever it could with them. Note that man-db assumes
> that English man pages are written in Latin-1, and sets LESSCHARSET
> accordingly.
>
> Is this a bug or a bugfix? (I initially thought the former, but perhaps
> I should never have expected latin1 output in LC_CTYPE=C to work.)

Hmm, I changed as groff doesn't use iconv if locale (at least LC_CTYPE) is
C or POSIX, so it will output char as is.
I've put new one at http://people.debian.org/~ukai/groff/
as groff 1.18.1-0.u1.
How about this?

In addition, I fix gxditview to display Japanese text, as jgroff did,
in this version.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI