Re: [Groff] Color and older PS printers

From: Mike Bishop
Subject: Re: [Groff] Color and older PS printers
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:23:24 -0800

> > > A diff between files generated by each version (with the -c option
> > > on 1.18.1)) gives assorted setxxxcolor/setgray etc., commands.
> > > The QMS printer reports "Postscript Version 52.4".
> > >
> > > So, /should/ older PS printers work, or is their some other method
> > > for defeating color on some printers, not on others (for example,
> > > some special option to grops)?

> > As Ted later pointed out, the PostScript now being generated by
> > grops assumes an interpreter that can cope with setgray, etc.,
> > i.e. Level 2.

> This is not fully correct.  `setgray' and `setrgbcolor' are level 1.
> `setcmykcolor' is level 2, but by default not used in any color
> definitions.  For the moment, simply comment out the /Fk and /Ck
> commands in the font/devps/prologue.ps.  I'll try to fix this soon.

     Commenting out those lines worked well, and it should be a
     simple matter to rig up a printer filter to do just that for
     device "qms".

     As Ted suggested, and Stewart Russell's script proved, the
     QMS is a Level 1 printer.

     The "ps2ps" suggestion from Ralph Corderoy looked like it
     should work (and shame on me for not thinking of it).
     However, the printer still fails with files processed by
     ps2ps /regardless/ of the language level chosen (ghostscript
     6.53).

     Another year goes by, and I have still managed to avoid
     learning postscript or perl!

     Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Rgds,
--
Mike Bishop              907/495-5737    907/495-5738 (fax)   address@hidden
Willow, Alaska