Re: [Groff] Problem process UTP source

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problem process UTP source
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 17:14:23 +0200 (CEST)

> I received the following error when tried to process a chapter:
>   $ groff -pt -ms utp.t ch04.t > test.ps
>   utp.mac:16: warning: numeric expression expected (got `a')
>   utp.mac:20: error: end of file while defining macro `pa'

On Solaris, you have to use `-mgs' instead of `-ms'.

> I just found out I can't man groff anymore:
>
>   $ man groff
>   Reformatting page.  Please Wait... done
>   $

The same cause -- groff uses the man package from Solaris which won't
work; groff's man macros are called with -mgan, I believe.

>From the PROBLEMS file:

  * groff produces wrapper macros for `ms' and friends which call the
    system's original macros.  Then, to get groff's ms macro package I
    have to use `-mgs' instead `-ms'.  Can I avoid this?

  Yes.  Configure and compile groff as usual, but install it with

    make install tmac_wrap=""

  Then no wrapper files are produced, and `-ms' will use groff's `ms'
  macros.