Re: [Groff] Possible UTP macro bug

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] Possible UTP macro bug
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 07:54:34 -0400

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 06:56:17AM -0400, Larry Kollar wrote:

> Michael Hobgood wrote:
>
> >     I may have stumbled onto a bug in the
> >X1,X2,X3,X4 macros in the utp macro package.
> >     What appears to be happening is that
> >the Xx macros can't handle the bottom of the
> >page all of the time.
>
> I've run into this as well. Putting ".ne 8" (replacing 8 with
> the vertical space needed by X1..X4 in whatever instance)
> takes care of it. Wrapping it in .KS/.KE should also work.
>
> It's an easy fix & not page-dependent.

I agree with Larry.  I could divert the output of X1...X4 and check
if there is enough room, but I found in typesetting my book that it's
best to make tweaks like that by hand since it allows greater control
over the final layout.  Rich Stevens even took out the .ne statements
from macros like .SH in his private set of -ms macros, and he did the
same with .KS/.KE that are in some -ms macros.

Still, I only live to serve, so if people want some sort of diversion
for X1...X4 let me know.

Jon Snader