Re: [Groff] UTP Proofreading Fixes

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP Proofreading Fixes
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:04:19 +0100

Hi Michael,

> .ig
>       This is v1.0 of the
>       preface.t
>       file for the Unix Text Processing (UTP) projects
>       re-creation of Tim O'Reillys' original book
>       "Unix Text Processing."

It was Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly.

>       O'Reilly & Associates' is given great thanks and credit
>       for allowing this project by making the original available
>       for reproduction.

Tim also gave permission for us to transcribe from the original he'd
already made available.

>       A note about lines begining with ".page xxx".
>       These page numbers refer to the original page numbers,
>       not to the page number obtained when the book is
>       formatted with groff.  Page numbers produced by the
>       .page xxx macro are intended to assist in making
>       future updates to this book.  To display them in the
>       left margin, insert the troff command .do-page
>       immediately after the .utp command before formatting
>       the book.

Isn't it easier to set the do-page number register from the command
line.  This saves having to edit a source file that you want left pristine.
Jon, is this an allowable way or might you want to change .do-page's
definition someday?

>       To groff the entire book from the tarball, use:
>       groff -step -ms utp_book.t > utp_book.ps
>       The file utp.mac must be available either in the directory
>       where the source file is located, or groff must be told
>       where to find it.
>       To format this file individually, use:
>       groff -ms preface.t > preface.ps

I'd leave in -step even if preface.t doesn't need it, other files will
and it'll save having to get it right each time.

In fact, I'd prefer to see formatting instructions in an INSTALL file,
and some of the background, history and thanks in a README rather than
duplicated N times resulting in the need to fix N copies if we identify
a problem.

Cheers,

Ralph.