Re: [Groff] UTP Copyright Status

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP Copyright Status
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:39:18 +0100

Hi,

I've been away and am trying to catch up on my email back-log so
apologies if I'm addressing things out of order.

> While working on a revised header, I got to wondering what the actual
> copyright status of the book is.  If I understand correctly, the
> original book in its pbm or pdf form is now under the O'Reilly open
> books project.  However, searching the O'Reilly web site discloses no
> information on the copyright status.

I believe O'Reilly & Assoc. hold the copyright.

> Some of the books listed in the open books project have a note at the
> bottom of the web page stating that the book was released under the
> GPL, but Unix Text Processing doesn't.

And isn't AIUI.

> Now for the kicker.  What kind of copyright is this re-creation under?
> I remember Werner sending a snippet of an email he had from Tim
> O'Reilly giving his okay to redo the book, but where does that place
> the re-creation?  Do we GPL it or what?

I don't know if you're thinking of this email *I* got from Tim.  I think
Werner also had contact with him earlier than that.