Re: [Groff] UTP macro question

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP macro question
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 15:07:37 -0400

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 10:21:34AM -0500, Michael Hobgood wrote:
>       When adding the .page macro to the preface, I found that
> .page does not like page numbers given as alphabetic sequences,
> ie .page xii.  It works okay from what I can tell, it just emits
> a warning.  Does this macro need changed or can we live with
> it making a warning?

That's because I put the argument to page in a number register
for use by the Rn and Pn macros.  I've updated utp.mac to
define a string instead of using a number register.  Now it
doesn't matter what the argument is, the page macro just
prints it in the margin and in the Pn and Rn summaries.

>       Also, the .se macro doesn't like any non-numeric number

What are you trying to do?  You can have a chapter number 1, 2, ...
or a letter A, B, ... .

> given, nor does it appreciate being given the word "preface" to
> use.  Understandable, since the macro is looking for something else.
> It will work as is and produce the word preface correctly, but it
> causes a nasty error message to be emitted.  Again, is this something
> that needs changed in the macro or can we live with it.

I also fixed this.  Do the preface like this:

        .chapter "" "" Preface

I'll upload the new macros to Larry, so they should be available
directly.

Jon Snader