Re: [Groff] latin2.tmac

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] latin2.tmac
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:38:53 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 4:25 AM
Subject: [Groff] latin2.tmac

>  - Why are so many Germans fascinated by groff? (i.e. the maintainer,
author
> of the mom macro package and some other guys I've heard about?)

Following up on Werner's assertion of "German speaking people" as
contrary to Germans: to call an Austrian "German" is worse than calling
him names, so you better watch it.  He who taught me the German language
when I obtained my ZDaF[1] is Austrian and quick of tongue (it still
hurts ;-).

On your question. Perhaps it is because the German language has a
grammar and syntax very much alike to troff's. I see a groff macro with
the same esthetic eye as when reading Rilke, that is, you have to feel
the rythm otherwise it just sounds like noise.  (Running to get cover
;-)

[1] Zertifikat Deutsch als Fremdsprache. Pity I haven't spoken German in
a decade. :-/