Re: [Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 06:58:15 -0500

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

First, I stand corrected on all counts (as indicated in your other
messages).

Yet, using a recent CVS snapshot (last weekend)...

> I myself wrote:
>> Second, as this is definitely not a text font, and therefore it
>> doesn't have the four different styles as expected (roman, bold,
>> italic, bolditalic) you should generate the metrics file as
>> *special* and add it as such in the DESC file.
>
> Hmm, I won't do that.  Two possibilities:
>
>   . The font contains everything for IPA.  Then it just a normal
>     font.  No `special' necessary.

Yes, the font metrics contains all the Postscript names for the glyphs
included (I downloaded the AFMs from Adobe's FTP site).  But when I
create a metrics font with:

 afmtodit -n -d ./DESC -i 0 TIPA____.AFM generate/nullmap TIPA

where nullmap is empty, and then try a small test file:

.\" groff -ms
.PP
This is a test. \f[TIPA]\[152]\fP

I get:

$ groff -ms test1.ms > documentos/test1.ps
test1.ms:5: warning: can't find special character `152'

>   . The font contains additional character for a given font.  Then
>     the right thing is to use the `fspecial' request.

I wasn't aware of these requestes --- .special and .fspecial. I just
haven't had the time to read, and digest!, the whole manual and rather
play it by ear (frying other fish these days ;).

Thus instead of adding it to the DESC file[1], one should add it to the
beginning of the document, like this:

.fspecial T TIPA

Yet, it doesn't work for me:

.\" groff -ms test1.ms
.fspecial T TIPA
.PP
This is a test. \f[TIPA]\[152]\fP

results in:

$ groff -ms test1.ms > test1.ps
test1.ms:3: warning: can't find font `T'
test1.ms:5: warning: can't find special character `152'

using .special instead doesn't work either. If I do it as described to
Rob (create fontmap and encoding file from AFM using awk, generate
metrics, add to DESC file, add to download file) *it just works*.

Either I am doing something the wrong way or groff isn't working as
advertized :).

[1] That, btw, will be overwritten when installing a latter CVS
snapshot; why can't we have a shadow site-fonts directory where we can
place our own font and download files, perhaps even custom DESC files?
Perhaps easier than the idea of emulating kpathsea.