Re: [Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:53:59 -0500

Rob Scovell wrote:
> I am trying to install a Mac Type 1 IPA font but without success:
>
> [strathfillan:~/groff_fonts] rob% groff -Tps testipa.gr > testipa.ps
> testipa.gr:1: warning: can't find font `IPA'
> [strathfillan:~/groff_fonts] rob%
>

> [strathfillan:groff/font/devps] rob% head IPA
> name IPA
> internalname Times-PhoneticAlternate
> spacewidth 250
> kernpairs
> charset
> space   250     0       0040
> ---     250,82,190      3       0042    -- lowrising
> ---     500,700 3       0043    -- umlaut
> ---     333,656 3       0044    -- macron
> ---     500,706 3       0045    -- breve
> [strathfillan:groff/font/devps] rob%

Not quite right, although that depends on what you consider normal.

First, you'll notice that in the first column there are no two-letter
abbreviations, therefore you can't use strings such as \['a] or \('a for
an aacute but rather \[decimalcode], e.g., \[43] for umlaut; you
probably forgot to use the text encoding map or (even better yet) to
create your own encoding map for this font when generating the metrics
file. You could use use more meaningful names, say \[ehook] for ehook
instead who knows what codepoint number it has in that font :).

Second, as this is definitely not a text font, and therefore it doesn't
have the four different styles as expected (roman, bold, italic,
bolditalic) you should generate the metrics file as *special* and add it
as such in the DESC file.

BTW, if you feel the outline file might be the problem, you have a
choice of applicatons to recover the LWFN font into a PFA: (1) T1 Utils'
unmac; you can find it in any CTAN mirror (see http://www.ctan.org/) and
compile it yourself. (2) UnAdobe and ReAdobe; they might be available in
the Info-Mac mirrors and are definitely in the defunct University of
Michigan Macintosh archives (http://www.umich.edu/~archive/mac/ if still
online). (3) The T1 Utils included in Tom Kiffe's MacOS port of web2c
TeX (http://www.cmactex.com/).