[Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX

From: Rob Scovell
Subject: [Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:27:23 +1200

I am trying to install a Mac Type 1 IPA font but without success:

[strathfillan:~/groff_fonts] rob% groff -Tps testipa.gr > testipa.ps
testipa.gr:1: warning: can't find font `IPA'
[strathfillan:~/groff_fonts] rob%

I have extracted the pfa from the resource fork and run it (and the afm file) through tr to demaccify the line endings. I then followed the instructions on an old email from Ted in the list archives that related to a Cyrillic font. The font file is in the right directory:

[strathfillan:groff/font/devps] rob% ls
AB CB HI NBI SS ZDR ABI CBI HNB NI TB download AI CI HNBI NR TBI download~ AR CR HNI PB TI generate BMB DESC HNR PBI TR prologue BMBI DESC~ HR PI TimesPhoAlt.pfa symbolsl.pfa BMI HB IPA PR ZCMI text.enc BMR HBI NB S ZD zapfdr.pfa

The font file looks OK to me:

[strathfillan:groff/font/devps] rob% head IPA
name IPA
internalname Times-PhoneticAlternate
spacewidth 250
kernpairs
charset
space   250     0       0040
---     250,82,190      3       0042    -- lowrising
---     500,700 3       0043    -- umlaut
---     333,656 3       0044    -- macron
---     500,706 3       0045    -- breve
[strathfillan:groff/font/devps] rob%

The DESC file looks OK too:

[strathfillan:groff/font/devps] rob% less DESC
res 72000
hor 1
vert 1
sizescale 1000
unitwidth 1000
sizes 1000-10000000 0
styles R I B BI
family T
fonts 10 0 0 0 0 0 SS S ZD ZDR IPA
tcommand
postpro grops
broken 7
paperlength 792000
print lpr
[strathfillan:groff/font/devps] rob%

And so does the download file:

[strathfillan:groff/font/devps] rob% less download
# List of downloadable fonts
# PostScript-name       Filename

Symbol-Slanted          symbolsl.pfa
ZapfDingbats-Reverse    zapfdr.pfa
Times-PhoneticAlternate TimesPhoAlt.pfa
[strathfillan:groff/font/devps] rob%

Stewart has mentioned 'How to install arbitrary fonts' by Ted Harding -- I have looked for this but can't find it.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thank you,
Rob

PS groff's weirdness *does* grow on you! I suspect you guys have got some subtle brainwashing technique going on there ...