[Groff] tbl like structures

From: Jonas Jermann
Subject: [Groff] tbl like structures
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:51:25 +0200

Hi

This is my last attempt. Btw: Is there any groff irc channel
around? To the question:

I don't want to use tbl. What possibilities exist to create one
of the following things (using standard man page commands)?

    1) .TP/.IP without newline before them
       = _no newline_, place first at start position, newline,
         place 2nd,... at position given by .TP/.IP argument
       = (?) some way to create table like structures without
         paragraphs

    2) The same without line brake after title
       = no newline, place title (first) at start position,
         _no newline if there is enough space_, place 2nd at
         position given by .TP/.IP argument, same as above...

    3) (already asked) generally redefine the indentation of
       .TP/.IP

I could solve the first with an ugly .RS/.RE structure. The 2nd
just worked with spaces (can't and don't want to use them).
Donno about 3).

PLEASE, just tell me if this is a RTFM (where?) if solution
'xxx' was better anyway or anything else. I spent a lot of time
in it without any success and IMHO all the groff/man page
documentation is a mess. What I could need was a good example
man page or guide (related to my problem).

Best Regards
    Jonas