Re: [Groff] UTP: appa

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP: appa
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 22:35:57 +0100

Hi Heinz,

> Just finished appendix A with marking up.  It was horrible for me.

My sympathies.

> There are so many font changes in it in the commands description of
> sed, awk and friends. between constant width, italic, constant,...  I
> really don't know the best way doing it.
>
> .CW [/\c
> .I pattern\c
> .CW /]=
>
> or
>
> .CW [\fIpattern\fP]=
>
> or
>
> \f(CW[\fIpattern\fP]=\fP
>
> so I ended up mixing the styles.
> Any advice for me?

I don't know of a `best' way but I had a go and came up with this.

    .LP
    before
    .CW [/\c
    .I pattern\c
    .CW /]=
    after
    .
    .LP
    before
    .CW
    .I pattern /]= [/
    .R
    after

The first is one of yours, the second uses .CW to switch the current
font allowing a plain .I to do the work.  You need a .R afterwards
though.  Note, they give different results.  The first has `after' in
italics.  The second in Roman.

Cheers,

Ralph.