[Groff] Re: transparent gzip

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: transparent gzip
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:07:04 +0200 (CEST)

I think it makes not much sense to discuss the usefulness of gzipped
manual pages.  It is a fact of life that many, many distributions do
use gzipped man pages.  Sometimes I want to call groff on a man page
without using the `man' program.  Using a pipe hides the name of the
input file, mapping it always to `-', i.e., standard input.  This is
often undesirable, so IMHO having support for compressed input files
is useful.