Re: [Groff] UTP - time to jumpstart it

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP - time to jumpstart it
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:34:12 -0400

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> I've just now supplied Larry with marked-up versions of App. C to G and
> a front page section.

I've put them up on the web site. Thanks much!

>> (But being somewhat fanatical about clean HTML, I just don't like the
>> idea of converting tables to graphics. I'll live with it though.)
>
> How can we use HTML tables in a book about tbl?  Don't we need the
> precise appearance of a tbl table?

Good point -- but I think that's the *only* case where HTML tables
need to look exactly like tbl/troff output.  Perhaps there could
be a flag in grohtml that chooses tbl->bitmap or tbl->tags (the
logic in doclifter might be useful here). Gaius, what do you think?

>> to get decent HTML: convert to DocBook first, use Jade to transform
>> that to HTML.
>
> ... If it's a book on troff then let's use troff
> to write it.  .... we should stick to -Thtml and
> report back the problems to see what Gaius and Werner think the solution
> should be.  That benefits groff too by driving onwards -Thtml
> development.

Good point.

> I think we should get UTP transcribed without adding any extra stuff.
> ... I'd like to see a `version 1.0' release
> that builds to a finished PostScript book.
>
> *When* that point's reached, it's time to start work on bringing it up
> to date.

My thoughts exactly.

> ...This might suggest the need for CVS to ease keeping track of who's
> changed what, when, and why.

Perhaps I should apply for some space at Savannah or SourceForge?

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the