Re: [Groff] UTP - time to jumpstart it

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP - time to jumpstart it
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:46:07 -0400

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 08:03:11PM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> I've been putting `.\" page 312' in the source to mark the start of a
> new page in the original book as recommended by Larry.  I'd like to see
> a .page macro instead that prints this number in the margin when enabled
> by a command-line register setting, to ease reviewing the PostScript and
> moving from our version back to the original.
>
> If .page existed then it would be really handy if .Rn printed that page
> number as well as the new page number.  Then we can look at the last
> page of a chapter and see the issues together with the page number to
> refer to in the original.

I added two new macros to handle this.  One is the .page macro that will
put it's argument in the left margin as you suggest.  Normally, this
capability is turned off, but you can enable it by putting a .do-page
at the top of the file (after the call to .utp).

The tar file also contains a small awk script that will change the
.\" page xxx to .page xxx.  It's just a quicky and not very smart,
so if you entered the page comments differently, you'll have to
tweak it a bit.  Call it as
        page.awk original.t new.t

When the .page macro is enabled, it will also put the UTP page number
in the .Rn and .Pn comments.

> I tried to do
>
>     .chapter E "Comparing \f(CBmm\fP and \f(CBms\fP" Appendix
>
> but found it didn't work well because the string is upper-cased.  Can we
> leave the case alone?

I've added a fourth argument to .chapter.  If that argument is non-null,
the mapping to uppercase is inhibited.

I have sent the tar file to Larry with the changes.  No doubt he will
post once he has them up.  Let me know via the list if you have any
problems.

Jon Snader