Re: Fw: [Groff] [groff/patch] transparent gzip

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Fw: [Groff] [groff/patch] transparent gzip
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:34:21 +0100

Hi Mark,

> Again, this is not about disk size at all... It's about speed (and if
> do get the speed benefit - then why waste the disk space...? You get
> both ends of the stick...).

Waste the disc space because then awk, wc, etc., all work on the files
off-the-bat.  Why throw away the Unix advantage of a common file format
for interchange between tools?  If you want everything compressed, for
whatever reason, put it in ext3 where we never get to see or hear about
it.

Cheers,

Ralph.