Re: [Groff] Bug with mom-1.1.3 and groff-1.18

From: Michael Hobgood
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bug with mom-1.1.3 and groff-1.18
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 02:46:18 -0500

Werner,
        I have tried to investigate this, but nothing I see
makes sense.
        Starting from scratch by removing all groff stuff,
I did a clean install of 1.17.2.  It defaulted to letter
size paper with no options given to configure.
        When I then installed 1.18, with no options given to
configure it defaulted to A4 paper.
        Looking over the configure script, I don't understand
the logic.  I see groff_prefix being set to $prefix, but
prefix has been earlier set to NONE.  Therefore, the later
tests can't succeed because f evaluates to
"NONE/share/groff/*/font/devps/DESC". At least when I put
in a few echo statements to see what was being returned,
that is what I got.  Additionally, the lines which attempt
to evaluate the $descfile would set PAGE=A4 but never to
anything else. When I looked over the 1.17.2 configure script,
it was similar.  It doesn't have groff_prefix, but the tests
are using just $prefix, which has also been earlier set to NONE.
        Would you or someone else care to explain what this is
actually doing?  My scripting abilities unfortunately are
as good as my typesetting skills, both of which are poor.
        As an aside, after the paper size test, there is a test
for existing troff installations.  I notice that it always
returns no for an answer.  Is this correct?

Cordially,
Michael Hobgood