Re: [Groff] groff and warnings

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff and warnings
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 08:54:55 +0100

Hi Mark,

> 1. Groff manual and info state that you can allow/inhibit warnings of
> all types according to warning names. What are the warning names ?
> 2. Why isn't there a flag to inhibit all warnings (like the flag that
> exists for error messags..) ? It's pretty useful (especially for the
> things I'm doing which is trying to convert a whole bunch of manual
> pages).

src/roff/troff/input.cc contains

    { "char", WARN_CHAR },
    { "range", WARN_RANGE },
    { "break", WARN_BREAK },
    { "delim", WARN_DELIM },
    { "el", WARN_EL },
    { "scale", WARN_SCALE },
    { "number", WARN_NUMBER },
    { "syntax", WARN_SYNTAX },
    { "tab", WARN_TAB },
    { "right-brace", WARN_RIGHT_BRACE },
    { "missing", WARN_MISSING },
    { "input", WARN_INPUT },
    { "escape", WARN_ESCAPE },
    { "space", WARN_SPACE },
    { "font", WARN_FONT },
    { "di", WARN_DI },
    { "mac", WARN_MAC },
    { "reg", WARN_REG },
    { "ig", WARN_IG },
    { "color", WARN_COLOR },
    { "all", WARN_TOTAL & ~(WARN_DI | WARN_MAC | WARN_REG) },
    { "w", WARN_TOTAL },
    { "default", DEFAULT_WARNING_MASK },

So it looks like `-W all' might do what you want, or `-w total' if not.

> 3. Having synchronized version of the manual pages accross a LAN (for
> instance in a development lab).

A bit OT but either my machines are already running in-sync programs,
and my man pages are therefore already in-sync too, or there are
different versions of /bin/ls kicking about and I'd like the matching
versions of ls(1) too.

Cheers,

Ralph.