Re: [Groff] Bug in html backend

From: Mark Veltzer
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bug in html backend
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:14:46 +0300

On Friday 16 August 2002 08:57, you wrote:
> > BTW: Why wont you add such a regression test to the groff source?
> > At the end of the install a user could do "make test" and it will
> > attempt to convert various manual pages to various formats and will
> > run various tests on them...  This will increase the quality of new
> > releases of groff since a new release won't be made until the
> > regression test passes on the maintainers machines.  This will also
> > increase the level of bug reporting since you could just tell the
> > users that are having problems "could you please send me the output
> > of "make test" ?". Just a thought.
>
> Excellent idea.  Do you volunteer to add that?  Ideally, the
> regression test should be as complete as Knuth's trip test for TeX --
> this tests more than 99% of the code :-)

No problem. I can do that. What script language do you prefer (I prefer perl
but that is my own taste). Since the regression test suite is a non critical
part of the system it's not a "requirement" of groff (meaning users that are
installing groff dont HAVE to run the regression test suite). This means that
we can afford to use some high level language like Perl/Python or whatever
and not worry about making unreasonable requirements from the users.

My current idea is to get some pretty offensive manual pages and convert them
using various back ends. I'll throw in a binary file which is not a manual
page at all in there too (just to make sure that groff is not going into
endless loop or crashes). As time goes by and as people report bugs it will
be the job of the maintainers (you) to add files which caused problems
(crashes, endless lopps) to groff. A directory structure like this will do:

$groff_root/regression/[man|html|ps|dvi|ascii]

I will put correct results of the conversion process there too (mind you that
will will make the groff distribution bigger) and will compare the results on
the users machine with the expected results (this will test that the
conversion process works correctly and not just survives the conversion
process itself). People wishing to add tests for specific things could just
make small manual pages with the feature they want to test and add it with
the expected results to the appropriate directories. The regression test
suite will automatically run over those too (the script will not have the
list of regression files hardcoded - it will just scan the man directory and
go from there).

What do people think ? Please comment before I get to work about problems
with the scheme I presented...

Another question: what is the address of the cvs server and can I pull the
latest version off of it ? (So I can work versus the latest version and so I
could get the latest bug fixes...).

Can I send the patches in unified diff format ?

Mark

>     Werner

- --
Name: Mark Veltzer