Re: [Groff] caron chars

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] caron chars
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 21:33:17 +0200 (CEST)

> May I ask why chars like \(vs, \(vS, \(vz and \(vZ exist, but no
> \(vc and \(vC.

Because standard PS fonts have the former four and don't have the
latter two glyphs.

> This is causing me great problems, since I need to use the following
> hacks:
>
> instead of \(vc:      \o'c\(ah'
> and        \(vC:      \o'C\ps+2\(ah\ps-2'

Not optimal.  Please look into dvi.tmac and check `.dvi-achar'; this
macro can be used for any non-tty device, I think.

> which is ugly and does not always work (for different font sizes).

`.dvi-achar' should properly define \[vs] and \[vS] for any size.

> I am also wondering why some named characters suddenly became
> undocumented (i.e. are missing from the groff_char manpage)?

Only the characters available for the current device are shown.

> Also, I think it would be great if latin2 preprocessors existed,
> translating latin2 chars into groff escape sequences.

Not necessary.  Write a latin2.tmac file similar to latin1.tmac and
add the missing glyph entities with `.dvi-achar' where possible.  Of
course, this is a suboptimal solution if you have real latin-2 encoded
fonts, but...