[Groff] Smart quotes (and other excesses)

From: David Given
Subject: [Groff] Smart quotes (and other excesses)
Date: 24 Jul 2002 22:32:13 +0100

I'd like to be able to implement smart quotes for meta. Currently text
"like this" appears with straight quotation marks, which doesn't really
look right.

Traditionally, groff appears to support smart quotes by having the user
do it manually, using \*[oq] or something equally hideous. Is there any
way I can persuade groff to do them for me? For example, by triggering a
macro on every character (although this is liable to be rather slow)?

If so, it ought to be possible to do other interesting things, like
putting text *like this* in italics and text _like this_ as underlined.

Any suggestions?

--
David Given
address@hidden