[Groff] Re: latest grohtml patches

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Groff] Re: latest grohtml patches
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:41:03 +0100

Hi Werner,

> I've applied your first patch, then my addition, and finally your
> second patch. The results look fine!

thanks!

> Until now I've encountered two bugs:
>
>  . Sometimes the indentation in tables is not the same for all
>    entries.  I assume this is the problem with \X.

yes I think that this is the major cause of the problem.  Another
secondary cause is that if the device files for html do not match the
browser (v.likely) then the column widths will be calculated
incorrectly. If the column width is slightly too small for the actual
text then the browser will enlarge the column - causing an ugly effect
w.r.t. other tables.

One possible fix would be for grohtml to scan neighbouring tables and
see whether columns positions of these neighbouring tables match and
whether these tables can be combined?

A less expensive solution is to steal space from the gaps (if any)
between the table columns - but how much space should be stolen?

>  . If you compare pic.html before and after applying your patch, you
>    can see that sometimes an empty line within <pre> ... </pre> is
>    translated to two empty lines.  Can you fix this?

yes the spacing between tables is broken and this code needs an overhaul..

Gaius