Re: [Groff] UTP style?

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP style?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:21:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jon Snader <address@hidden> wrote:

> The .Ps macro changes to Courier and sets no fill mode, so that's not what
> you want to do here.  The tables aren't centered unless someone asks them
> to be.  If you want the tables to be left justified on the page with a (say)
> 5n indent, you can do it like this:
>
>       Here is an uncentered table:
>       .in +5n
>       .TS
>       box;
>       l|l.
>       one     ONE
>       two     TWO
>       three   THREE
>       .TE
>       .in -5n
>
> Personally, I like the tables centered, but if the original book had them
> left justified, and that's what people want, I'm fine with it.  It's an
> easy fix to get them that way.

I don't mind the boxed tables being centered, especially if they are wide.
But the book has a lot of unboxed two-column displays that I think would
look nicer lined up with the .Ps displays.

But that's just my opinion.  The tables in question do specify center in
the table specs; if everyone has done tables like that through the book,
perhaps it's easier to leave them.  The important thing is to get through
this recoding phase so we can move on to rewriting the book for groff,
right?

meg