Re: [Groff] UTP Macro bugs

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP Macro bugs
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:13:31 -0400

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 03:32:33PM -0700, Meg McRoberts wrote:

> --- Jon Snader <address@hidden> wrote:
> > UTPers,
> >
> > As an experiment I added 1v worth of space before drawing the box
> > for the SS macro.  That improves things immensely.
>
> Oh yes!  Very nice!  And this time I got boxes with splines for corners
> as well -- looks good!  I would like to see just a little more space
> on the inside top of the box -- right now, there is more space between
> the text and the bottom line than between the top.

OK.  Let me experiment a little with how much space we need.  I don't
think we need a whole line's worth.

> Also, could we get a bit more space between the text and the box on
> the left?  The initial letter of each line is almost on the line.  I
> reran ch06.t with the new utp.mac -- if the first letter in the first
> line is uppercase, it actually crosses the upper left box spline!

I'll download ch06.t and take a look.  The .SS macro should leave plenty
of room (3n), so I'll be surprised if that's an issue.  As I said earlier,
the X[1-4] macros don't leave as much room.  Is that where you're seeing
the problem?

> The good news is that the .Ps problems I saw in my previous version
> have miraculously resolved themselves as well.  However, it appears
> that the new .SS is forcing inappropriate page breaks somehow.  To
> illustrate from my run of ch06.t, on page 6 (the PH/PF example) we
> have 8 lines of text and space preceeding a .SS, then a page break.
> The boxed text (a one-liner) is at the top of page 7, followed by three
> lines of text and another page break before another .SS -- and thus it
> goes throughout the chapter.  Any idea what this is?

I don't understand the part about .Ps.  I haven't changed those macros
since I first added them.  Perhaps the ch06 author tweaked the markup.

The page break is because I added a .ne \\n[dn] to the .SS macro.  Without
that, boxes would sometimes gobble up the running head on the next page.
We shouldn't be seeing what you describe though.  Again, let me take a look
at ch06 and see what's going on.

Jon Snader