Re: [Groff] a calling interface for shell scripts in groff

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] a calling interface for shell scripts in groff
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 23:11:31 +0200

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 09:11:02PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> There are other shells which are small, fast, and compatible - pdksh
> comes to mind - and I don't think there's any particular reason to treat
> ash specially. Good shell scripts should allow the sysadmin to use
> whichever he/she chooses, and the simplest way to do that is to trust
> that /bin/sh will be whatever's locally considered best.

Not sure if my previous mail made it to the list.  I found a solution
for choosing the shell for groffer without any changements in other
parts of groff, neither at `configure' nor any need for a `groff_sh'
or whatever.

`ash' is considerably faster (3 seconds or 8 seconds make a difference).
So I use it where possible.  It's up to the developers of the other
shell scripts in groff whether they want to use my solution for their
shell scripts or not.  I do not see any reason to discuss this topic any
further at the moment - except if there are some complaints about
groffer (patches welcome).  I'm about to release a new version soon.

Bernd Warken