[Groff] grog insufficiencies

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: [Groff] grog insufficiencies
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:39:58 +0200

I found the following bugs in grog (shell script).

1. In groff, macros can be called with both . (dot) or ' (apostrophe).
grog honors only the dot.

2. The macro name can be preceded by any sequence of spaces and tabs.
grog does not have this.

3. The `egrep -h' option should be avoided by calling
`cat "$@" | grep'  instead of `egrep -h ... $*'

4. `egrep' is regarded `obsolescent' by the POSIX standard.  There are
incompatible `egrep's around.  For example, the grog script expects
the `|' operator to refer only to the last token (like POSIX grep's `\|');
but in my egrep installation, the vertical bar refers to everything from
the beginning or the previous vertical bar.  In short, `egrep' should be
replaced by `grep'.

If these things have not been fixed so far I can prepare a patch.

Bernd Warken