Re: [Groff] strings with arguments

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] strings with arguments
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 19:48:46 +0200

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 11:38:00PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I've just committed some code which implements strings with arguments.
>
> PS: It is *not* possible to make macros with arguments be called
>     inline.  The complications caused by newlines are too hairy.

This is a nice feature, but it does not solve the problem of inner word
macro calls.

Is it possible to make the leading and trailing spacing around a macro
call being avoided?  Once the places where these spacings are applied
are identified in the code, we can discuss methods to suppress the
spacings.

Philosophically, this would establish a complete equivalence of strings
and macros, as was intended from the beginning.  So far, this
equivalence is valid only for macros without an argument.

Bernd Warken