Re: [Groff] UTP project - To what end?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP project - To what end?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:07:45 -0400

Manas Laha wrote:

> Having gone to the trouble of giving the original UTP a new lease of
> life, it would be a real pity if it were not brought up to date. The
> updated version could be just the right answer to the long felt need for
> a modern book on unix text processing, including groff. But this is
> surely going to be harder than just reviving the original.

My thought, a couple of weeks ago, was "does the title
'Unix Text Processing' even apply anymore?" First, TeX
and Lout exists & have their partisans. Second, groff
has escaped the Un*x boundaries; there are Windows versions
(both native and Cygwin) and MacOS X includes it (although
at that point, it's really a straight Un*x app again).

But first things first. Before we can really do a good job
of modernizing UTP, we need to get the text & markup
finished. I'm hoping we don't all get so distracted by the
future that we get bogged down in the present. :-) But once
we finish reviving the original, everything is in play as
far as I'm concerned -- including the title.

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the